Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sunday Funday

The people have voted! Liquor and beer can now be served in almost all cities around the metro Atlanta area, including my areas of DeKalb and Gwinnett counties.

Photo by Tobyotter via Flickr
I've been a massive supporter of Sunday alcohol sales since I wrote an editorial on it for school a few years ago, so of course I went to the ballots last night.

You should have voted, mister. (Yeah, I'm wearing the same shirt. Don't hate.)
As one voter commented to the AJC:

"We are one of the last states to attempt this, and we want to be the leader of the South? If we want to make ourselves appear to be a cosmopolitan city, we have to allow it."

The main reason booze isn't sold on Sunday is because of Christianity. How did that happen again, considering the separation of church and state?

One Sunday school teacher told the AJC that Sunday is the "Lord's day," and "if you can't do without alcohol one day a week, there's something bad wrong with you."

First of all, lady, it's "badly wrong," not "bad wrong." Second, it's not just about doing "without alcohol one day a week." I spend many days not drinking alcohol. Sometimes weeks. I don't keep a stash of Strongbow in the house for this reason.

What if, after weeks, maybe a month, of not drinking, I get a craving to have a beer or two and it just happens to be Sunday? Or what if last-minute guests decides to drop by my house and I need to grab some wine, as part of being a good hostess?

I want to be able to have that purchasing option, as a majority of metro Atlantans seem to agree with. Seventy-one percent of Stone Mountain voters favor it. Atlanta saw 82 percent. And Lilburn? An (unofficial) 64 percent.

It's like that box of Drumsticks ice cream sitting in my freezer; I don't need it, but I like to know that I have the option to pop one open whenever I want.

Just because alcohol will be available on Sunday doesn't mean you have to buy it. If you don't support the ban lift, then don't buy alcohol on that day. It's as simple as that. Don't take away my right to buy alcohol on the Sabbath just because you believe in some book that says it's a "day of rest." What if my day of rest consists of being lazy and drinking some hard cider?

And don't be one of those hypocritical assholes that wants to keep the ban but still ends up drinking on Sunday because the alcohol was lying around the house. The whole point of not purchasing on the Sabbath is so that you don't imbibe it, too.

Now here's a toast to finally loosening those blue laws and joining the other 47 states that aren't dry on Sunday.

Photo by tces6, via Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment