Thursday, November 3, 2011

Excuse Me If I Suck At This.

It's been a long time.

I should have gotten into the blogging world ages ago, when Creative Loafing's music editor asked me why I didn't have a blog. He had been interviewing me for the music intern position for the summer of 2009 (which I didn't get, by the way, but instead landed a summer events intern spot), so I made up some bullshit story about being too busy with school and working full-time.

Since then, the importance of blogging has always popped up. My journalism professors said we should keep blogs (even though in class they never covered how to blog). I was asked during other interviews, and more recently, a recruiter for Home Depot asked me via email for my resume, clips and blog. I told her I didn't have one but sent her everything else, and she didn't email me back.

So, to be frank, I'm composing this blog for a few reasons:
  1. My career. I've noticed since high school (when I actually had five to six blogs) that my writing has deteriorated. As a journalist, that's not really a good thing, so I need to get back into the creative writing habit.
  2. My increase of free time. Because my current employer, Patch, has decreased the freelance budget across the board, I'm writing less and getting paid less. It still pays the bills, but my work now consists of only 10 hours a week. So aside from reading the Sookie Stackhouse books (currently on book eight) and watching "Sex and the City" reruns, I need something to occupy my time. 
 Hopefully, from this day forward, I will not be blogless. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment